Friday, December 17, 2010

A Collection of Samovars

Posted by Ann Rabinowitz



The weather is rather chilly right now and I have turned on my heat for the first time this year. This make me think of samovars, that ubiquitous household item of yesteryear which, some time ago, I wrote about on the LitvakSIG Online Journal.

Whilst I was researching this article, I had much enjoyment in looking at the various sources which provided the types of samovars and where they came from. There was the old-fashioned samovar itself (see above) and the newer electric samovars such as the one below:




Not only was there the samovar itself to consider, but also the teapot which came with it (see below).



One could also include a drip bowl and other accoutrements such as chimneys, extensions and parts.



Reader Pheya Yair from Israel, has sent me a wonderful presentation (see below) which shows the varied nature of the samovars


Their intrinsic beauty, especially as noted in the multitude of designs and options for construction that were used and shown in this video is quite apparent. It became not so much a heating implement for hot water as a treasured household antique, much beloved.

I hope that you enjoy this short piece and that it gives you a true idea of the household item that many of your ancestors used to provide hot liquid refreshment which kept them warm and toasty in the winter cold of Eastern Europe. In fact, now that I think of it, a hot cuppa’ tea is what is in order as the temperature decreases dramatically tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ann,
    I read your post about the samovars.Very nice!
    Here in my house, I have four samovars. I got the electric first one from my cousin a long time ago in Leningrad. I bought the second one at the Hilton of Istambul but it is an old one from Russia, dated Nikolai II. I bought the third one, which is old and quite litlle for 20 or 30€ in an antic shop in St Petersburg four years ago and I found the fourth one in in a junkyard not far from where I live!
    I am fond of samovars... And you are right, in every jewish house there was a samovar...But where have they all gone, such as the menokhot, hanukioth etc etc?????
    If you wish, I'll take photos and shall send them to you.
    Best wishes
    Christine

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Please post responsibly.