Posted by Warren Blatt
JewishGen is pleased to announce the formation of a new Special Interest Group -- the JewishGen Sub-Carpathia SIG.
The JewishGen Sub-Carpathia SIG focuses on parts of the pre-WWI Hungarian megyek (counties) of Bereg, Maramaros, Ugocsa and Ung, today located in Sub-Carpathia, Ukraine.
The prime objective of SIG is to help with genealogical research and related information-gathering.
Please visit the JewishGen Sub-Carpathia SIG's web site at:
See what's there, and contribute material you may have that will enhance it. Perhaps you would like to spotlight your family, in the hope of locating relatives.
These are JewishGen Sub-Carpathia SIG's ongoing projects:
- gazetteer of Sub-Carpathian villages and towns -
by their former Hungarian and present Ukrainian names,
with both lists linked to show the location on a map
- transcription of the Velikiy Bereznyy (Nagyberezna) mohel book
- transcription of the new Mukacheve cemetery tombstones
- transcription of the Berehove cemetery tombstones
- transcription of the Pryborzhavs'ke cemetery tombstones
- providing guidance for travel in Sub-Carpathia
There are also new projects, some of which have already begun, and others awaiting volunteers to participate and/or lead them.
- translation of the Vynogradiv yizkor book
- cemetery projects - photographing and transcribing tombstones
- collecting travel photos from visitors to their ancestral towns
- transcription of vital records
If you have interest, genealogical skills, knowledge of the history and genealogy of this area, or language proficiency (Hungarian, Romanian, Russian, Ukrainian, Hebrew or Yiddish, among others), we would appreciate your help with our collective efforts.
A discussion/mailing list is the conduit through which SIG members can communicate their research issues, ask for advice, offer solutions, and share the creative ways in which they have documented their family heritage.
To subscribe to the discussion/mailing list, please go to:
and select "Sub-Carpathia SIG."
* For questions concerning JewishGen Sub-Carpathia SIG, its discussion mailing list or web site, contact Marshall Katz, at:
< firstname.lastname@example.org >.
* Comments or questions of general interest to all should be addressed to the JewishGen Sub-Carpathia SIG's mailing list, at:
We welcome everyone's active participation.
Managing Director, JewishGen
JewishGen Sub-Carpathia SIG Coordinator